A for Alan Clarke
Last night we had an interesting discussion about syncronicity, jigsaw puzzles and other things I can’t quite remember. Plus some new people which was super.
The book(s) we’re reading for next time are:
The Alan Clarke Diaries – Volume 1 In Power 1983-1992
This is the one with the anecdote about Clare Short’s “lovely brummie accent” when she correctly accused him of being drunk.
and as a bonus:
A for Andromeda by Fred Hoyle
Its a novella about radio telescopes, and was on bbc 4 recently.
Other nominees were:
Fluffy part IV
Austerlitz – W.G. Sebald
Kitchen – Banana Yoshimoto
Scar Tissue – Anthony Kiedis
Something by Will Self (plus we could invite him along in an ironic way)
The Fight – Norman Mailer
An Acre of Barren Ground – Jeremy Gavron
The Black Album – Harif Kureishi
Labyrinth – Kate Mosse
Others included: In Praise of Shadows, The Dirt, and Snowblind.
Optional bookgroup challenge: set up a myspace account and see what all the fuss is about!
Next meeting: Wednesday 19th April in the Elm Park Tavern @ 7.30
i have a new job. i no longer need to wear a suit every day. nor do i want my work mates to think i’m a member of formally popular beat combo ‘the levellers’. so i need some middle ground. i kinda know what im doing but i have some concerns…
• wearing trainers with a suit. this just feels wrong. the trousers kind of bunch up above the laces and anyway, it’s rather robbie williams.
• wearing no tie is ok with a suit on. but when you take the jacket off, you have a shirt tucked in and yet no tie. this seems wrong. too maths teacher-y…
• …or maybe the problem is only having shirts designed to be worn with ties and a different breed of shirt is required?
• or jumpers. maybe they can solve the shirt tucked-in and no tie conundrum?
• wearing a jacket and trousers but in a less formal way than a suit. jacket with jeans is far too clarkson.
• so trousers which are somewhere between the 2? chinos? too david niven. and this isnt burma in the 1950s. cords? too 1960s geologist.
• and they need to be bootcut to wear them with trainers. so where do they grow?