Do something wonderful
It’s now the time of year, where we decide on what Brixton Book Group’s (impossibly long) best book of 2019 was with a poll, and the results are announced at our Christmas dinner at Khan’s.
But this year we’d like to do something different. One of the lovely things about book groups is all the books you get to read that you wouldn’t have ever picked up in the bookshop. Some books might inspire you to hunt out everything the author has ever written. Others might inspire a lot of discussion about how utterly terrible they were. Hopefully we’ve inspired you to do a bit more reading, and given a nice place to talk about books and do a bit of socialising.
One of the things we get asked a lot – and will be asked during the annual membership boost of January new year’s resolutions – is if there’s a fee to join. We never charge and never will.
However if there’s one thing you can do – would you make a donation to the book trust to send a book to a child in care? it’s a tenner – you can donate on their website here. We’ve read 12 books this year – it would be nice to get that number sent to children to share the joy of reading. Christmas can be hard for children who are vulnerable or in care, but your book gift can help spread a bit of happiness.
So please make a donation – and then cast your vote on the Brixton Book Group Award for the Bestest Gold Medal Award Winning Book We’ve read in 2019 (only one can win). Note – if you’re on mobile you might need to click through to the website to cast your vote! The winner will be announced at the Christmas Party on the 19th of December, so get donating and voting!
Vote for the Brixton Book Group Award for the Bestest Gold Medal Winning Award Winning best book we've read in in 2019 (only 1 can win)
- His Bloody Project - Graeme Macrae Burnet (52%, 11 Votes)
- Norse Mythology - Neil Gaiman (14%, 3 Votes)
- A month in the Country - J. L. Carr (14%, 3 Votes)
- The Silence of the Girls - Pat Barker (10%, 2 Votes)
- Normal People - Sally Rooney (5%, 1 Votes)
- The Buried Giant - Kazuo Ishiguro (5%, 1 Votes)
- In Cold Blood - Truman Capote (0%, 0 Votes)
- An American Marriage - Tayari Jones (0%, 0 Votes)
- Kraken - China Miéville (0%, 0 Votes)
- The Bees - Laline Paull (0%, 0 Votes)
- The New York Trilogy - Paul Auster (0%, 0 Votes)
- The Book of Strange New Things - Michel Faber (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 21