A big welcome to all the new faces who turned up on Thursday!
The discussion on I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings inspired some interesting conversation of the impact and interpretation of history, perhaps inspiring the selection of our next choice. For we’ll be reading Homer’s The Odyssey at the next meeting, on the 31st of July.
If you’re unable to read ancient Greek, the translation by Robert Fagles was recommended over the alternatives!
The other books pitched were:
- Saturday Night and Sunday Morning by Alan Sillitoe
- The Shadow Of The Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
- The Room by Hubert Selby Jr.
- How to Build a Girl by Caitlin Moran
- The Mussel Feast by Birgit Vanderbeke
- Brief Interviews With Hideous Men by David Foster Wallace